Tuesday 9 December 2008

Love thy green.....Brussel Sprouts


Eat brussel sprouts
Because my folks
Don't know my where abouts
Brussel sprouts, brussel sprouts
Oh boy, how I hate brussel sprouts

Some of you might have the same experience when asked to take the tiny little cabbage when you're young. Luckily my folks don't have to force me to take my brussel sprouts as I love my green ( Brussel sprouts not very common back then in Malaysia ) . It's considered luxury green as it's mainly imported.

When I noticed sprouts in supermarket it reminds me Christmas just around the corner. Brussel sprouts are the main green during this season. My cousin Ann, had not seen brussel sprouts grown on stem as in the pics.



This tiny little green are loaded with goodness especially anti-cancer properties. Don't boil them as the Chinese do as the goodness will be loss into the water you used to boil them but rather steam them and stir fry them eventually.


Stir Fried Brussel Sprouts with dried shrimp(Hay Bee)

Ingredients

  • 300 gm brussel sprouts
  • 2 tbsp dried shrimp (or can use sambal belachan)
  • 2 small chillis
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 shallots
  • 2 tbsp of cooking oil
  1. Steam the brussel sprouts for 10mins.
  2. Wash and soak the dried shrimp. Drained. Use food processor, add in chilli, garlic and shallot and blend the mixture into a paste.
  3. In a pan heat the oil till hot, add the paste and fry till fragant. Then add in brussel sprouts and stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add in salt and sugar to taste.
  5. Served hot.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.