- 2 tablespoons green tea powder (matcha)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup thick double cream
- In a small bow, mix the green tea powder with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- n a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks and remaining sugar and whisk.
- Pour the milk into a small pan and gently heat taking care not to let it boil. Remove them from the heat and mix a few spoonfuls of the warm milk with the green tea powder and sugar in a small bowl. When you have a smooth paste, add it to the remaining milk in the pan, then gradually combine with the egg yolk mixture
- Return mixture to the stove and heat slowly over low heat (taking care to not let the mixture boil), until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve, and allow to cool completely.
- Lightly whip the cream and then add it to the cold green tea-milk mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a large container and [chill for an hour or two in the refrigerator] and then put it in the freezer. As ice crystals start to form, remove, and mix well with a spoon (use a wooden spoon and stir very vigorously) to break them up and return the mixture to the freezer. Repeat this a few times as it freezes to ensure that the ice cream is smooth.
- Alternatively can use ice-cream maker :-)