Sunday 19 July 2009

A short break in Athlone, Ireland

Athlone High Street

River Shannon running across Athlone

I've been away for a 3 days short break to Ireland. I've been here in Cambridge exactly 3 years now, but have never step my foot into Ireland before, as the saying goes so near yet so far.
So with my ma around, we decided to pay a visit to our hometown friends in Athlone and also to visit my friends and fellow food blogger so.moo.food in Dublin. The trip was indeed fruitful and load with lots of Malaysian hospitality to name a few. On top of that we're blessed with two days of excellent weather in Athlone (having heard of horrible and unpredictable Irish weather? ) .
If one ever visits Athlone and fancy Chinese food, do drop by Row In Row
( http://www.athlone.ie/athlonedirectory/R/RowinnRowChinese.aspx ) and
Jia Jia Chinese restaurant. If you like a cosy and relax ambience, Row In Row definitely the place to chill out and the food is great. Dining at Jia Jia definitely has its Oriental edge, with the added Oriental decor and huge authentic Oriental arts hanging on the wall, service wise it's excellent and its food definitely authentic. Needless to say, as a food enthusiast myself, I highly recommend this two Chinese restaurant if you happen to be in Athlone.
Back here in Cambridge, I've been growing my own grub in spring. They're faring pretty well now. I've started harvest some of my own vegetables. On my little plot (I would say pots) I have grown some dwarf french bean, potatoes, spring onion, spinach, lettuces and celery. So I've picked some french bean fresh from my plot. :-)
As a Malaysian ( hmnnn.... calling myself half Singaporean as well) , I have yearning for spicy food sometimes. So I decided to make a quick fiery stir fry to go with my rice. If you happen to be in Malaysia and Singapore you couldn't help but noticed some vegetables stir fried in sambal belacan sauce ( spicy shrimp paste ) .... note it's spicy .... but it gives the dish it's added kick. For me it's an excellent Malaysian ingredients after all to bring flavor to other wise a dull dish.


Stir Fry French Bean in Spicy Sambal Sauce
Ingredients (for 2 persons)



  • 150 gm french bean (cleaned and trimmed and cut into 1.5 inches stick)
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 shalots finely chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp sambal belacan sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  1. Heat oil in a wok till hot. Add in the sambal sauce and shallot and let it brown for a minute.
  2. Then add in the french bean and stir fry on high heat for 2-3minutes.
  3. Then add in sugar and stir fry for another minute or so.
  4. Dish out and serve.
This dish can accompany with rice or usually the Malaysian used it in Nasi Lemak (coconut rice)
My verdict : Delicious

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, great beans and thanks again for your coming all the way to ireland to visit us. it was great fun and really looking forward to meeting you again, in Cambridge perhaps. take care now christine :)
--adeline

Christine Toh said...

Hi Adeline,

You guys are really great, had made my stay in Ireland memorable. Yes do come over and visit me soon :-) .
Keep up the good cooking. You're a great cook. :-)

fen said...

You have family in Ireland?

Christine Toh said...

Hi Fen,

It's a really great family friend from P Gurney whom is residing in Ireland. :-)
Great hospitality Foochow style :-)