Thursday 23 July 2009

Petite Madeleine


This is one of the French recipes that I hold highly and never fail to impress your guests for a delightful afternoon tea session. Pretty to the eyes, these delicate shell like madeleines will have your guests asking for second, third until all is cleared up and still wanting for more.
I personally like these madeleines, as the outer layer is so crispy and yet soft inside, accented by hint of orange zest...... what a bliss to had with a cup of coffee or tea. To tell you the truth, the pictures I took above is only my second attempts on madeleine. The first attempt was wiped out by me and my guests before I had the chance to photograph them.
Let me share with you this delightful and mouthful petite madeleine.


Petite Madeleine
Ingredients (make about 14-18 madeleines)


  • 3 large eggs
  • 100-125 gm sugar ( I tend to use 100gm as I prefer it less sweet)
  • zest of 1/2 orange
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 110 gm cake flour
  • 60 gm finely ground almond
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp orange juice
  • 125gm butter
  • some icing sugar for dusting


  1. In a pan heat , melt and simmer the butter till brown, should give you a nice aroma. Sieve and cool.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg and sugar with an electric mixer till ribbon consistency, will take about 10minutes. Then add in zest and vanilla and mixed well.
  3. Slowly use a spatula to mix in the flour and blend well. Add in almond flour, salt , orange juice and baking powder and blend well.
  4. Lastly pour in the melted butter and mixed well.
  5. Put in the refrigerator and cool for about 4hours. By this time your batter should be slightly thicken.
  6. Brush the madeleine mold baking tray with some butter and dust with some flour. Then scoop about 1 tbsp of the batter and filled into the pan. This amount should be about 2/3 full in the shell mold. Don't worry if it's look unsightly at the moment. Repeat till 12mold gas been filled.
  7. Heat the oven to 180C. Bake for 15minutes or till olden brown. Typically I will turn over when the front side turn brownish with a fork in order that the bottom side will brown evenly as well.
  8. Serve and enjoy.
P/S: For cake flour I use 110gm plain flour, remove 2 tbsp of flour and replace with 2 tbsp of corn flour and 1/2 tsp of baking powder and seive about 8-10times till light.

2 comments:

fen said...

Yummy...looks simple. But too bad, I don't have the molds.

advertising for starbucks?

Christine Toh said...

Hi Fen,

Yes it's simple.
Nope am not advertising for SB.