Sweet and sour fish maw
Ingredients (2 persons)
- 40 gm fish maw which already been deep fried
- 250 gm tomatoes - remove seed and puree (you can use tomato sauce instead), I find that using tomato puree gives a very nice color to the dish.
- 2 tbsp hot chilli garlic sauce- best to have Kampung Koh chilli sauce
- 2-3 tbsp white vinegar/lime juice
- 1/2 -1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 50 gm lean pork - sliced thinly
- 50 gm bamboo shoot-sliced thinly
- 1 celery stalk-sliced diagonally
- 1 shallot-sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 bird eye chilli
- some shredded ginger
- 2 tsp tapioca starch with 1 tbsp of water
- 600ml chicken stock/anchovy stock
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 egg white
- coriander for garnishing
- Soak the puffed fish maw in water till soft. Rinse and press the oil out. In a wok, boil some water and put in the fish maw to blanch for 5 minutes or so to remove excess oil. This step will ensure you don't have the deep fried oily taste to the fish maw. Drained and press dry.
- In a wok on high heat, add in the cooking oil and fry the shallot, garlic, chilli and ginger till fragant. Then add in the pork and stir fry till slightly cook, add in fish maw and continue to stir fry.
- Add in celery, bamboo shoot, tomato puree, chilli sauce and stir fry. Then add in the chicken/anchovy stock. Lower the heat, add in the sugar, salt and vinegar and close the lid let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or so. Then add in beaten egg white and stir. Add in tapioca starch thickening liquid and mix, the soup should thicken now. Add in sesame oil and stir, off the heat and transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander/spring onion. Served hot with rice.
Isn't it a nice bowl of sweet and sour fish maw?