My first experience of Japanese Chicken Curry was like 5 years ago at a Japanese restaurant in Singapore. It is very different from the type of curry that I'm used to, the Japanese curry is milder, sweeter, more like a stew and one would not feel guilty of indulging in it as I think it's rather healthy type of curry, no traces of coconut cream or cream in it. It's so comforting meal for a cold nite and nevertheless easy to prepare.
Japanese Chikin Kare (Chicken Curry)
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 400 gm chicken breast meat cut into bite size
- 2 big onions diced
- 2 big potatoes diced
- 3 big carrots diced
- 750 ml chicken stock/water
- 3 golden curry cube
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Spring onion for garnishing
- In a pan, heat the oil and sweat the onion. Then add in the chicken and stir fry for 3 minutes or so. Then add in the carrots, potatoes and the chicken stock. On high heat bring it to a boil, then turn the heat to medium to low and let it simmer for approximately 25-30mins until soft.
- Then add in the cube and continue to stir until it completely melts. Continue to stir to ensure it mixes well. Add in the honey. Simmer for additional 10minutes or so.
- Turn off heat. Scoop and serve warm on rice.