Thursday 4 February 2010

Steam Chicken with Dong Quai, goji berries and red dates


Bet many of you must be checking my blog and wonder whereabout Apron's Delight is. Been quite busy lately at work, an early spring clean my house during weekend and watching some really good documentaries on TV. And I am still keeping my resolution to keep cycling to work at least 3 times a week during winter (note: cold and dark here in winter), but nevertheless 36 miles per week for the last 6-7 weeks felt like an achievement.
Yes indeed it's also good time in winter to replenish one's body with nutritious meal. Here's a really simple and good remedy for women well being. My mum used to cook this dish for me. So simple and yet really delicious with a bowl of rice.


Steam Chicken with Dong Quai, Goji Berries and Red Dates
Ingredients (for 2 persons)
  • 2 chicken legs portion
  • 6 slices of dong quai (Chinese angelica root)
  • 6 red dates-pitted
  • 1 tbsp of Goji berries
  • Dash of kosher/sea salt
  • 8 tbsp of water
  • 1-2 tbsp hard liquor-Brandy, Cognac, XO
  • aluminiun foil
  1. Wash the chicken and pat dry. You can opt to chop into smaller pieces.
  2. Rub the chicken with sea salt.
  3. Wash the dong quai, red dates, goji berries. Drained. Lay them on the aluminium foil. Top them with the chicken pieces.
  4. Slowly wrap the parcel, before sealing, pour in the water and brandy.
  5. Heat up a steamer and let it steam for 25-30minutes. Ensure when you prick the chicken there is no bloody liquid as it's still not cook, continue to steam on high heat.
  6. Serve hot with rice.
Of course one should read about what is dong quai if in doubt.





The arrival of snowdrop signifies spring is just around the corner, I can see myself smiling

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Yes,I like this and the recipe looks real simple. Must try ....
And Happy Chinese New Year to you!
Cheers, Jenny

Christine Toh said...

Hi Jenny,

It's simple and it's not daunting at all. I always like to add a hint of liquor to it. Nourishing.

bysfbay said...

I understand why this is a classic. It has richness and complexity from the dong quai. Blending in wine, simple chicken and supporting ingredients makes this steamed dish a winner.

Unknown said...

Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr God hands whom god has bleesed with ancestral herbs gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... so i make a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have being watching my health for 6 years now and I actually comfirmed that his herbal medicines are permamnent cure and I'm so happy that i came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr God hands Email: doctorgodhands@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2349057214220. if you gone through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.