I remembered vividly the 10 courses Chinese wedding banquet back in my hometown. Belonging to the Foochow clan, guessed a lot of our dishes compromised of sweet and sour cuisines. Even if I didn't get to go for this banquet as a child, my mom diligently brought back some doggy bag of sweet and sour king prawn for me without fail. It's a treat back then.
Sweet and Sour Prawn
Ingredients (2 persons)
- 300g of fresh king prawn with shell/with head/headless (I can only find headless here)
- 2 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of lime juice/white vinegar
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of shaoxing/dry sherry
- 1 big red onion diced into cube
- half of pepperbell
- 2 ring of pineapple
- 1/4 of cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/2 red chillis
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- oil for deep frying
- In a pan/fryer, heat oil for deep frying. Once heated, add in the prawn and deep fry for about 2 minutes. Removed from wok and drained.
- In a wok, add a tbsp of cooking oil. Add in red onion, chilli, pepperbell and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Then add in the prawn and stir fry for a minute.
- Pour in the sauce-tomato sauce, soya sauce, sugar, limejuice, shaoxing wine. Stir well to coat the prawn.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, pineapple and cucumber. Stir to mix well.
- Turn off the heat and served on a plate.
Served with rice. What a feast :-)