Whenever I fancy Vietnamese meal, this is one of my favorite. It's none other than rice paper spring roll. This little gem is easy to prepare, no cooking required, fresh herbs from garden and generally a really healthy meal.
Vietnamese Spring Roll
Ingredients (for 8 rolls)
- 8 large cooked prawn-peeled and cut into halves
- 50gm of rice vermicelli
- 1 cup of julienned carrot
- bunch of fresh mint leaves-shredded with hand
- bunch of fresh corriander leaves-shredded with hand
- bunch of chives-chopped
- 4 lettuce leaves-used the soft green leaves-shredded with hand
- 16 pieces of 6 inch diameter rice paper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (Nam Phla)
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 bird eye chillis chopped
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 3 tbsp of water
- In a bowl, place the dry vermecilli, pour in hot boiling water to cover it for 5-10 minutes until it softens. Drained and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Immerse one rice paper at a time in warm water till soft(takes less than 30secs). Lay two soften rice paper overlay half of each other on a flat plate.
- On one end of the rice paper lay the lettuce, top it with carrot, rice vermicelli and chives. On the other end lay 4 pieces of prawn. Roll paper up halfway, fold in the sides and continue to roll till the end.
- With a knife sliced the roll into half.
- Served with sauce.