Saturday 29 January 2011

Kek Bahulu



I went for a run this morning ( to tell you the truth I haven't done any outdoor running for a very very long time). It was bitterly cold, so I had to run fast to heat up. Well for a start I managed 1.5miles run. Maybe one of my new year resolution..... keeping fit and healthy through healthy eating and excercise. :-)

After the run I had craving for my mum Chinese steam cake, it's easy to make and healthier than the butter cake options. The main ingredients of the cake is just eggs, sugar and self rising flour. So I whipped up the cake under 15minutes only but there is a little problem, I can't find my steamer. Well..... it can be baked too. Turn out well after all.






Kek Bahulu
Ingredients

  • 3 large eggs

  • 3-4 tbsp sugar

  • 100 gm self raising flour

  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
  2. Beat the eggs and sugar till it's thick reaching ribbon consistency. Take roughly 8minutes.

  3. Then sift the flour into the mixture. Carefully fold in with spatula.
  4. Add the essence vanilla, mix well.

  5. Pour the mix into cake tin and bake for 20-25minutes till cook.


Verdict: I prefer the steam version as it's moist, the baked version is little bit on the dry side.

3 comments:

Algernond said...

That name doesn't sound very chinese ?

Christine Toh said...

It's in Malay

Kek Bahulu=Sponge Cake

Algernond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.