When weather is cold, I resolved to having piping hot noodle soup to warm up. I made Yu Mein(fine egg noodles) as satisfying winter warming meal. The secret to a good bowl of Yu Mein lies in it's stock and dipping chilli garlic sauce. I even made my own chilli garlic sauce to go with my Yu Mein. Typically they cook each portion of noodle (for each person) in a small pot. It's a very popular noodles in Singapore and Malaysia.
Yu Mein (Fine Egg Noodles Soup)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1.5 litres of water
- some rock sugar
- one handful of dried anchovies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of fried shallot oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a dash of pepper
- 1/4 chicken (esp on bony parts-his will give sweetness to the soup) or can use pork rib as well
- 150gm fresh egg noodles
- 3 bok choy plant.
- 100gm minced pork(1/2 tbsp of shaoxing wine, 1 tbsp of pepper, 1 tbsp light soya sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp corn flour, half egg)
- spring onion for garnishing
- fried crisp shallot for garnishing
- one handful of dried anchovies-removed head and stomach- shallow fry till crisp
- 2 eggs
- 1 big red chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- a dash of sea salt
- 2 tsp of water
- You can prepare the chilli sauce before hand. Minced the chilli and garlic and place in a small dish. Add in lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and water. Set aside.
- Prepare the stock. In a stock pot, add in water to chicken, anchovies and garlic. Let it boil on high heat and then turn to low heat and let it simmer for an hour. Add in pepper, rock sugar and sesame oil. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Seived the stock into another pot, let it boil. Add in egg noodle and cook till float. With a spoon, scoop the minced meat in small bite size into the stock. Cook for about 2minutes. Crack the eggs and poached (soft boil) them in the stock . Throw in the vegetable and cook for another minute.
- Served piping in bowl. Garnish with fried anchovies, fried shallot and spring onion. And don't forget your homemade dipping chilli garlic sauce.