Most of my guests gave 2 thumbs up for this little delicacies. I've tried this dim sum in Hong Kong many years ago, but I added a twist to it by adding slices of mango to enhance the overall taste of this simple snacks and added a hint of fusion food to it. Please do give it a try to impress your guests. It's versatile enough to be added in your menu as a starter.
Prawn and Mango in Shredded Filo Pastry
Ingredients ( Make 20 rolls)
- 20 big prawns [ aproximately 250gm] - de-shelled, de-veined and cleaned
- 1/2 pack of filo sheet pastry[around 150gm]-shredded thinly like vermecilli
- 1 medium sized ripe mango-slice into 4cm x 1 cm x 1cm stick
- 1 egg as an egg wash
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tbsp of corn flour/tapioca starch/potato starch
- Oil for deep frying
- Marinate the prawn with salt, egg white and starch. This will give your prawn a crunchy texture. Marinate overnight.
- Pick up a handful of shredded pastry and spread them about 5 x 5 cm area. Place a prawn and a mango slice on one end, brush with egg wash on the prawn and mango, then roll them.
- Repeat step (2) until complete
- Heat up the oil in deep fryer or wok for frying. Once the oil is hot, put in the roll and fry for till golden color, flip to the other side and fry till golden color too. Removed and drained with kitchen paper towel or oil absorbing paper.
- Served with salad cream, mayonaise or sweet chilli sauce.
PS: You can substitute mango with banana as well.