Homemade Wanton skin wrapper
- 120 gm plain flour
- 1 large egg
- dash of salt
- 2-3tbsp water
- tapioca starch/cornflour for dusting
- Add in egg to plain flour+salt. Knead to mix well. Add in water and continue to knead the flour dough. If it's too dry, wet your hand with water and continue to knead till smooth. If it's too wet, dust it with some flour and continue to knead till smooth.
- Let the dough to rest for 30minutes or so, cover with a damp cloth.
- Then use pasta machine to make thin sheet. Start rolling through at thick sheet pasta option, roll eat option 3 times to bind well. Dust on both side with starch to avoid the pasta sticking together. Then continue to roll through till it reach to thinnest sheet option.
- If it's not thin enough, you can use a rolling pin to roll to desired thickness, then cut into square pieces of 2.5x2.5 inches.
- 100 gm minced pork
- 75 gm minced prawn
- 3 water chestnut-finely diced
- 3 stalk of spring onion - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp of white pepper
- 2 tbsp of soya sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of rice vinegar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Mix ingredients A and B. Mix well .
- Place a tablespoon of (1) onto the middle of wanton wrapper.
- Curl you fingers toward your thumb, this should form letter O. Then place (2) through the O and fold the edges outward like a flower blooming. You can decorate the top with crab roe but for me I decorated with spring onion and a piece of red pepper.
- Prepare a steamer and steam on high heat for 15minutes till cook.
P/S: I do not have picture of steamed shiu mai as we're so busy eating that we forgot to snap :-)