This is my hometown dish, only served as one of the dishes during wedding and birthday banquet. Me and my sis normally will aim for the yam(taro) that was perfectly steamed and moist, absorbing the savory sauce during steaming. I like this dish because the sauce is very well absorbed into the meat . It requires about 2-2.5hours to steam to perfection, the meat on the rib is so tender and lovely. Even my mum will be so envy of me now. :-)
Tender pork rib with yam(taro)
Ingredients (good for 2 persons)
- 300 gm pork rib (chopped into 1.5inches long)
- 2 tbsp of shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp of soya sauce
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a dash of pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Maggi chiili sauce/ sweet Thai chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 slices of spicy Szechuan preserved vegetable (soak in water for 10mins to remove the chilli paste and the saltiness)
- 1/2 big onion (diced)
- 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 red pepper
- 50 gm yam cut into wedges of 1cm thick
- 1 red chilli (use more if you prefer it to be more spicy)
- oil for frying
- some corn flour
- some sesame seed, corriander for garnishing (optional)
- In a wok/fryer, fry the yam till lightly brown and drained. Coat the marinated pork rib pieces with a little of corn flour and fry them till lightly brown.
- In a wok, pour in a tbsp of oil, once hot, add in onion, chilli and stir fry till fragant. Add in green, red pepper and Szechuan preserved vegetable and stir fry for 2mins. Then add in the fried pork rib and yam. Pour in the sauces and coat well. Add in 4 tbsp of water and continue to stir. Let it simmer for 3mins until the sauce thickens. Then scoop the dish into a porcelain bowl and cover it with a flat plate. Ensure that it's compacted.
- Prepare a steamer. Place the bowl with flat plate into the steamer and let it steam for 2hours or until the meat is soft. You can use a fork to prick the meat, at this time the fork could easily prick into the meat without any effort.
- Once done, removed from heat and turn the plate over and remove the bowl. Garnish with sesame seed/corriander . Serve with rice.
It's nice indeed. All the essence of the flavor(vegetable & sauces) blended and absorbed nicely into the meat. What an enjoyment.