Wednesday 8 October 2008

Have you had your green today?


As you would have noticed and wondered whether my diet had any greens in it. Most of my postings has yet to sing praises of the humble natures best gift to us, vegetables, vegetables and more vegetables. Fret not, as I do eat healthily all the time, ahem, most of the time to be technically correct. :-)
For the past few days I had my fair share of meat & seafood, so I thought healthily, I should go green tonite. I always had emergency vegetables in my fridge, those that can be easily kept fresh for at least a week in my definition. Greens like cabbage & celery will find their little cozy corner in my veg box all the time. I like my vegetables cooked and one of my favorite cooking style is stir fry.
So be it, stir fry celery for tonite. When I was young, I disliked raw celery because they tasted awful and also quite tough especially the stalk. I always thought celery could be classified as certain kind of herb due to it's taste and will only be used as garnishing to my knowledge, how wrong I was.
Sometime last year I saw a friend of mine preparing celery, she diligently peeled off the skin on the stalk and cut them length wise into thin strip before stir frying them. I tried them and they tasted so good, so tender and yet so crunchy[I simply love this simple stir fry]. I've read that celery cut length wise tasted much better than cut horizontally. Reason for stripping the skin, is that all the fibrous string will be removed and revealed the juicy tenderness of the flesh. I fall in love all over again with celery.........



Stir Fry Celery

Ingredients
Good for 2 persons
  • 200 gm celery stalk
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 tbsp shaoxing wine/ dry sherry
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • a pinch of sea salt or 2 tsp light soya sauce
  • 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
  • drizzle of Japanese chilli flakes (optional)
  1. Peeled the celery skin and cut length wise into thin strip
  2. Heat vegetable oil in wok/pan on high fire. Once heated, put in garlic and lightly browned.
  3. Throw the celery in and stir fry quickly for 1 minute on high fire.
  4. Pour in shaoxing wine, sesame oil, salt and sugar and stir fry for another one minute.
  5. Turn off the heat. Serve on a plate and drizzle with chilli flakes(optional)
Served with rice.


Am definitely feeling more healthy now.
And to end the nite on high note of healthy eating, I wouldn't deny any offer on autumn straws. Yummy.

No comments: